Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thing #7: Technology

This is super easy, except for the fact that I can’t decide which technology is my current favorite. So, I guess you’ll get to hear about my top 3!

1. TiVo. My TiVo is awesome. It records shows for me that I’d completely forgotten about. I’m not home when most of my favorite shows are on. Thanks to TiVo, I also have not watched commercials in almost 3 years, unless they look interesting and I stop to watch them. I also love being able to pause and rewind shows, especially if the phone rings or the family starts talking just when they are revealing the murderer on CSI. Granted, TiVo is not a new technology, it just is better than a VCR or the DVR box from the cable company.

2. Facebook.com. Facebook is rather addictive. My friends and cousins are scattered all over America. Thanks to Facebook, I can stay in touch with all of them much easier than a phone call or an email. Facebook also has a ton of interactive things – SeaGarden, fluffbook, GreenPatch, Flair, WordTwist – that you can send to your friends, post on your profile, create and share, play with, and challenge others. There is something on Facebook for almost everyone. Some people use it to meet other people, others use it just to stay in touch.

3. Nintendo DS. My DS is fun. It is a small handheld video game console – its predecessor was the GameBoy and its current rival is the Sony PSP. The DS is a great entertainment tool, but can also be educational. I currently am altering between ‘fun’ games like Mario Kart, and games that challenge the mind like Brain Age. Even the ‘fun’ games are great for improving hand-eye coordination, reading, and socialization skills. That is one reason why libraries are incorporating gaming into their daily activities for teens. Games aren’t just for kids, either!

No comments: