Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thing #6: Flickr Mashups

I explored Flickr ColrPickr and CrimeReports (www.crimereports.com)

I really enjoyed CrimeReports because I am planning on moving to Omaha and can see local crime statistics combined with Google Maps. This will help me find a safe neighborhood to live in. You always hear about ‘another shooting’ or ‘armed robbery’ on the news. CrimeReports points out where each occurrence is and gives data about date, time, type of crime based on OPD’s police reports. Granted, it doesn’t show unreported crimes, but it still gives a good idea. At least, better than trying to sort through the data yourself and mark them on a map.

ColrPickr was also cool. It was fun to play with to see if any awesome photos popped up, or just the huge variety of the photos available. I showed it to one of my quilter friends and she wished she had something like that that would pop up fabric choices in various color schemes.

No comments: